Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Дата
Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> +1 for thinking ahead to the next time, but is a bit mask the right thing?

> What would you suggest?  struct  pointer? varargs?

Not sure.  By definition, we're trying to predict an unforeseen
requirement, and that's always going to be tough.

I'm not too thrilled about a struct pointer, because that will introduce
the problem "which version of the struct is the client passing?".
A varargs arrangement could cover almost anything, but it also seems
like overkill.

I don't actually have an idea that sounds better than a bitmask,
I just wanted to see if anyone else did.

BTW, the bitmask isn't perfect either --- doesn't it just reintroduce
the problem already complained of with your idea for PQinitSSL?  That
is, how does the client know whether the function recognized all the
bits it passed?