Re: Dumping an Extension's Script

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Dumping an Extension's Script
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
>> Well, there's certainly a point, because IIUC Dimitri's patch dumps
>> the file into the pg_dump output no matter whether the file originally
>> came from an SQL command or the filesystem.  IMHO, anyone who thinks
>> that isn't going to break things rather badly isn't thinking hard
>> enough.

> Only if you ask for it using --extension-script. The default behaviour
> didn't change, whether you decide to install your extension from the
> file system or the PostgreSQL port.

A dump-level option for that seems completely wrong in any case: it
breaks one of the fundamental design objectives for extensions, or
at least for extensions as originally conceived.  It might be necessary
to do it this way for these new critters, but that just reinforces the
point that you're designing a new kind of object.

I think a separate kind of "extension template" object would make a lot
more sense.