Re: Prepared Statement Name Truncation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Prepared Statement Name Truncation
Дата
Re: Prepared Statement Name Truncation  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com> writes:
> I think making this a warning now would be a bit more forceful way to
> let people know that this is a bad idea and this is a case where maybe
> they need to work around postgres' lack of conformance to the spec. It
> would most likely be caught sooner as well by DBA's. Then in 9.3 we
> can make it an error with a GUC to easily override it back to a
> warning.

Let me be clear here: I don't think we can or should ever make this
into an error by default.  Doing that would break spec-compliant
applications, whether or not they are using names that actually have
any conflicts.

There's some possible value in having a non-default option to throw
error for overlength names, but TBH I fear that it won't buy all that
much, because people won't think to turn it on when testing.

Given the historical volume of complaints (to wit, none up to now),
I can't get very excited about changing the behavior here.  I think
we're more likely to annoy users than accomplish anything useful.