Re: client machine requirements

От jtv@xs4all.nl
Тема Re: client machine requirements
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
> I know that these errors are occuring because I have not installed the
> Postgre package
> on the client machine but I can nowhere find a Postgre Client Software
> installation
> package for UNIX.

It may depend on your precies operating system--Unix is a big family.
Various GNU/Linux distributions, for instance, have a separate package for
just the client library.  The library is called libpq, so you may want to
look under that name if you're trying to find ready-made packages for your
environment.

> Do I have to install the full package (Postgre Server software as well) to
> access
> the remote Postgre server from my client's machine perl program?
>
> My boss is breathing down my neck saying "that cannot be right" but I have
> not been able
> to discover another way.

It may sound strange, but actually the server package isn't all that big.

I've got a local installation here that's about 12 MB, not counting the
data directory, of which the library binaries make up about one-third; the
server itself is 3 MB; includes are 2.5; other binaries (which you are
likely to want on the client side) are about 1.5.  So surprisingly, the
client library (the part you need) is the bulk of the installed
package--the server only makes up about one-fourth!

There may well be a prepackaged client library for your system, or you
could do things by hand, but for the short term you might as well install
the whole base package and just not run the server on startup.  If taking
the unneeded parts off the system is very important, do that later but
don't expect huge savings--and at least you'll have a running system right
away.

Jeroen