Re: "slow" queries

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: "slow" queries
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
"Cox, Brian" <Brian.Cox@ca.com> writes:
>> Probably because the DROP is trying to acquire exclusive lock on its
>> target table, and some other transaction already has a read or write
>> lock on that table, and everything else is queuing up behind the DROP.

>> It's not a true deadlock that is visible to the database, or else
>> Postgres would have failed enough of the transactions to remove the
>> deadlock.  Rather, what you've got is some very-long-running transaction
>> that is still making progress, or else is sitting idle because its
>> client is neglecting to close it; and everything else is blocked behind
>> that.

> This "deadlock" finished after 18h and 48m. As there is only 1 select
> on a table with 400 rows and 10 inserts into a separate partition than
> the one being dropped, what could possible take 18:48 to do?

[ shrug... ]  You tell us.  To me it sounds a whole lot like some client
program sitting on an open transaction that has a nonexclusive lock on
the table to be dropped.  That transaction wasn't necessarily doing any
useful work; it might have just been waiting on the client.

At this point I suppose arguing about it is moot because the evidence
is all gone.  If it happens again, capture the contents of pg_locks and
pg_stat_activity while things are still stuck.