Re: BUG #4374: pg_restore does not restore public schema comment

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #4374: pg_restore does not restore public schema comment
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> The issue actually appears to be that the comment on default schema like
> `public' isn't dumped in the first place.

Hmm ... there is a specific exclusion in _printTocEntry to suppress
dumping of either the CREATE SCHEMA command for "public" or its comment.
I don't quite recall the reasoning [ digs... ]  Oh, here it is:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-01/msg00212.php
You can probably find some related discussion in the archives right
before that, but the commit message is clear enough.

On the whole, since "public" is a quasi-built-in object, it doesn't seem
like a very good idea to depend on being able to alter its properties.
Why not attach your version comment to some other, entirely user-defined
object?  "CREATE SCHEMA version" perhaps ...