Re: Autovacuum vs statement_timeout

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Autovacuum vs statement_timeout
Дата
Re: Autovacuum vs statement_timeout  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> I'm with Joshua on this one. Statement_timeout is often used as a means for
> protection from long running statements due to server load and locking and
> all of the above commands can certainly fall into that area. If people feel
> strongly that the command line programs need a way to circumvent it, add
> a --ignore-statement-timeout option or similar mechanism.

The worst-case scenario here is that your server fails and you discover
that all your backups are corrupt because you didn't notice pg_dump was
failing due to statement_timeout.  (Maybe it just recently started to
fail because your biggest table grew past the point at which the COPY
command exceeded statement_timeout.)

I'm not excited about the other ones but I can see the argument for
making pg_dump force the timeout to 0.