Re: Postgres is not able to handle more than 4k tables!?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgres is not able to handle more than 4k tables!?
Дата
Re: Postgres is not able to handle more than 4k tables!?  (Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>> So, that's really the core of your problem.  We don't promise that
>> you can run several thousand backends at once.  Usually it's recommended
>> that you stick a connection pooler in front of a server with (at most)
>> a few hundred backends.

> Sure, but that doesn't mean things should completely fall over when we
> do get up to larger numbers of backends, which is definitely pretty
> common in larger systems.

As I understood the report, it was not "things completely fall over",
it was "performance gets bad".  But let's get real.  Unless the OP
has a machine with thousands of CPUs, trying to run this way is
counterproductive.

Perhaps in a decade or two such machines will be common enough that
it'll make sense to try to tune Postgres to run well on them.  Right
now I feel no hesitation about saying "if it hurts, don't do that".

Сообщение: Re: Is this a bug in pg_current_logfile() on Windows?
Сообщение: Re: Is this a bug in pg_current_logfile() on Windows?