Re: Proposal for syntax to support creation of partition tables when creating parent table

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Proposal for syntax to support creation of partition tables when creating parent table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Muhammad Usama <m.usama@gmail.com> writes:
> I want to propose an extension to CREATE TABLE syntax to allow the creation
> of partition tables along with its parent table using a single statement.

TBH, I think this isn't a particularly good idea.  It seems very
reminiscent of the variant of CREATE SCHEMA that lets you create
a bunch of contained objects along with the schema.  That variant
is a mess to support and AFAIK it's practically unused in the
real world.  (If it were used, we'd get requests to support more
than the small number of object types that the CREATE SCHEMA
grammar currently allows.)

As Fabien noted, there's been some related discussion about this
area, but nobody was advocating a solution of this particular shape.