Re: BUG #14206: Switch to using POSIX semaphores on FreeBSD

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #14206: Switch to using POSIX semaphores on FreeBSD
Дата
Re: BUG #14206: Switch to using POSIX semaphores on FreeBSD  (Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org> writes:
> Tom, thanks for looking at it so promptly. I am adding kib@ into the
> discussion. Perhaps he would comment on the SYSV vs. POSIX in FreeBSD and
> named vs. unnamed.

BTW, I trawled our archives and found this thread concerning the switch
from POSIX to SYSV on OS X:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/3830CBEB-F8CE-4EBC-BE16-A415E78A4CBC%40apple.com

I'm not sure what you were using to decide that POSIX semaphores were
okay, but the points in that thread about pgbench not being a very
good test case remain relevant.

> As far as I can tell, the sem_init(3) interface is present in the FreeBSD
> 10.3, so maybe we can use those instead?

If that seems like a competitive alternative for you, it'd be nice to have
a platform where we use unnamed POSIX semaphores by default.  I'm a little
worried about whether that code has suffered bit-rot, since it's been
sitting there basically unused for so long.