Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> In my experience with my own environment, I can honestly say that
> it's clear that not freezing tuples quickly adds more cost than
> running with cassert on.  If we had to run in production with one or
> the other, I would definitely choose cassert from a performance
> perspective; which one would do more to find bugs?  Why do we view
> them so differently?

The reason for not recommending cassert in production builds is not
cost but stability.  Per the fine manual:
        Also, having the tests turned on won't necessarily enhance the        stability of your server!  The assertion
checksare not categorized        for severity, and so what might be a relatively harmless bug will        still lead to
serverrestarts if it triggers an assertion        failure.  This option is not recommended for production use, but
 you should have it on for development work or when running a beta        version.

Сообщение: Re: Did we really want to force an initdb in beta2?
Сообщение: Re: Did we really want to force an initdb in beta2?