Re: Content for talk on Postgres Type System at PostgresConf

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Content for talk on Postgres Type System at PostgresConf
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/1/24 11:27, grimy.outshine830@aceecat.org wrote:

>>> You forget about the currency symbol dynamic. Like with time zones
>>> the local session provides the context, not the stored data.
>
>> Yeah.  The fact that the same stored value might look like 10.00
>> euros to one session and 1000 yen to another one is pretty
>> catastrophic.  The other nasty thing about money is that it's an
>> int64 so it can't represent more than 2^63 pennies (for whatever a
>> "penny" is).  Now, that's still a Frickin Lot Of Money in any
>> non-hyperinflated currency, but it's the sort of restriction that
>> banks don't like to hear of.
>
> Lame excuse first: I have never used the money type, probably because
> I overheard a word like "catastrophic" in my early development :-)
>
> But, doesn't what Tom says above contradict Adrian's example session?
> Either the stored value is re-interpreted according to the locale
> context, or it isn't. IMO it would be *more* catastrophic if it wasn't,
> as it looks from Adrian's example.

test=# set lc_monetary='de_DE.utf8';
SET
test=# select 10::money;
   money
---------
  10,00 €
(1 row)

test=# set lc_monetary='ja_JP.utf8';
SET
test=# select 10::money;
  money
-------
   ¥10
(1 row)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: grimy.outshine830@aceecat.org
Сообщение: Re: Content for talk on Postgres Type System at PostgresConf
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Content for talk on Postgres Type System at PostgresConf