Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Дата
Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-docs
> For the record: I think this is a terrible idea. Makes it much harder to
> figure out what changed when, and requires per-branch incantations to
> grep through the log.

Uh ... "grep through the log"?  The git log output hasn't changed at all.

I've personally never found the SGML/HTML release notes to be even
slightly useful for search purposes, because they're spread across so
many files.  This just changes how many copies of those files we have.

> That's not to speak of the fact that now it's
> just about impossible to reference all releasenotes on the website in a
> useful manner now.

You can still point to, say,
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/release.html

There's maybe two more clicks needed to reach any particular back
branch from there, but I would not call that "just about impossible".

Anyway, if people want something resembling the old presentation,
I think the way to get there is to have some sort of aggregate
release notes in a separate place on the web site.  We'd discussed
that briefly upthread, but no one's volunteered to push it through.

Сообщение: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Сообщение: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal