Re: Performance issues with large amounts of time-series data

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Performance issues with large amounts of time-series data
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
=?UTF-8?B?SHJpc2hpa2VzaCAo4KS54KWD4KS34KWA4KSV4KWH4KS2IOCkruClh+CkueClh+CkguCkpuCksw==?= =?UTF-8?B?4KWHKQ==?=
<hashinclude@gmail.com>writes:
> In my timing tests, the performance of PG is quite a lot worse than the
> equivalent BerkeleyDB implementation.

Are you actually comparing apples to apples?  I don't recall that BDB
has any built-in aggregation functionality.  It looks to me like you've
moved some work out of the client into the database.

> 1. Is there anything I can do to speed up performance for the queries?

Do the data columns have to be bigint, or would int be enough to hold
the expected range?  SUM(bigint) is a *lot* slower than SUM(int),
because the former has to use "numeric" arithmetic whereas the latter
can sum in bigint.  If you want to keep the data on-disk as bigint,
but you know the particular values being summed here are not that
big, you could cast in the query (SUM(data_1::int) etc).

I'm also wondering if you've done something to force indexscans to be
used.  If I'm interpreting things correctly, some of these scans are
traversing all/most of a partition and would be better off as seqscans.

>      shared_buffers = 128MB

This is really quite lame for the size of machine and database you've
got.  Consider knocking it up to 1GB or so.