Re: Document that server will start even if it's unable to open some TCP/IP ports

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Document that server will start even if it's unable to open some TCP/IP ports
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
> Before we spend too much time trying to document the current behavior, I
> think we should see if we can change it to something less surprising (i.e.,
> failing to start if the server fails for any address).  The original
> objections around kernel support for IPv6 might no longer stand.

I think that'd be more surprising not less.

The systemd guys certainly believe that daemons ought to auto-adapt
to changes in the machine's internet connectivity.  We aren't there
yet, but I can imagine somebody trying to fix that someday soon.
If the postmaster is able to dynamically acquire and drop ports then
it would certainly not make sense to behave as you suggest.