Re: Backup certain months old data

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Backup certain months old data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/22/24 19:11, Siraj G wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know how we can backup certain months old data from
> PgSQL and then delete it. The intent is to backup everything that is
> older than 2 quarters to a blob storage and delete it, to improve
> performance and reduce billing.

1) Postgres does not track the insert/update times of data, so unless
you have fields that track that you will not be able to do that.

2) If you do have a way of telling the times for all the records, are
you sure that removing the data on a time basis will be clean enough
operation that it will not leave the data in a compromised state?

3) Have you considered partitioning? See here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-partitioning.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com