Re: table name size

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: table name size
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sridhar N Bamandlapally <sridhar.bn1@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there any specific reason not releasing any version with "NAMEDATALEN 255"
> in file src/include/pg_config_manual.h ?

It would bloat the system catalogs by a rather substantial amount, as well
as in-memory images of those catalogs (catcaches).  Seeing that the field
demand for this is next to nil, we're not very likely to do it just for
nominal standards compliance.  But you're free to build your own copy that
way if you like --- that's why it's configurable.

BTW, you might as well set it to 256 not 255: alignment considerations
mean that the odd byte would just be wasted in most or all of the
catalogs.