Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 10/7/14 1:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter had a patch to eliminate the overhead of multiple subinstalls;
>> not sure where that stands, but presumably it would address your issue.

> It will need some cleverness to sort out the parallel make issues that
> were brought up in the review thread.

I took a quick look.  I concur with Fabien that the dependency on
MAKELEVEL seems pretty horrid: in particular, will that not break the
ability to initiate "make check" from somewhere below the top directory?

I wonder whether it could be solved by having code in the toplevel
Makefile that actually makes the test install tree, and not as a .PHONY
target but along the lines of

tmp-install-stamp:rm -rf tmp_install   # in case we failed during a previous attempt$(MKDIR_P) tmp_install/log$(MAKE)
...etc etc ...touch tmp-install-stamp

and then also at top level, put tmp-install-stamp as a prerequisite
for check-world, and then in every subdirectory that has a check
target, add something like

$(abs_top_builddir)/tmp-install-stamp:$(MAKE) -C $(abs_top_builddir) tmp-install-stamp

check: $(abs_top_builddir)/tmp-install-stamp

The way this solves the parallel make problem is that no matter
where you invoke "make check", the first thing it would have to
do is create the tmp_install directory if it's not done already,
before it can launch any parallel operations.  Or at least I hope
it'd work like that; I've not actually tried it.

Possibly some of these rules could be kept in Makefile.global
so as to avoid having to touch so many individual Makefiles.