Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.4 issue

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.4 issue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stephen Davies <sdavies@sdc.com.au> writes:
> I have just upgraded from Fedora 21 to 22.
> This included an upgrade of PostgreSQL from 9.3 to 9.4 which causes postmaster
> to fail because the existing databases are still at 9.3.
> As suggested, I then ran postgresql-setup --upgrade but this failed with:
> lc_collate cluster values do not match:  old "en_US.UTF-8", new "en_AU.UTF-8"

Hm, apparently you changed the system-wide language setting between F21
and F22?

One thing you should do is file a bug in Red Hat's bugzilla, pointing out
that postgresql-setup needs to endeavor to create the new cluster with
lc_collate and lc_ctype matching the old one.

Then, depending on what you want to do:

1. You really want to switch to en_AU, not just system-wide but for the
database: gonna have to dump and reload, I'm afraid.  pg_upgrade will
not handle this scenario.

2. You want to switch to en_AU system-wide but it's okay to leave the
database running in en_US: what I'd do personally is edit the
postgresql-setup shell script and add "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8" just
before the initdb call.  This won't stick across your next Fedora
upgrade, but hopefully by then Red Hat will have addressed your bug.

3. This was a mistake and you'd rather stay in en_US all round:
you can probably change the system-wide language setting somewhere,
but I do not remember where right at the moment.