Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Sergei Kornilov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum  (Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi
Thank you for update! I looked again

(vacuum_indexes_leader)
+        /* Skip the indexes that can be processed by parallel workers */
+        if (!skip_index)
+            continue;

Does the variable name skip_index not confuse here? Maybe rename to something like can_parallel?

Another question about behavior on temporary tables. Use case: the user commands just "vacuum;" to vacuum entire
database(and has enough maintenance workers). Vacuum starts fine in parallel, but on first temporary table we hit:

+    if (RelationUsesLocalBuffers(onerel) && params->nworkers >= 0)
+    {
+        ereport(WARNING,
+                (errmsg("disabling parallel option of vacuum on \"%s\" --- cannot vacuum temporary tables in
parallel",
+                        RelationGetRelationName(onerel))));
+        params->nworkers = -1;
+    }

And therefore we turn off the parallel vacuum for the remaining tables... Can we improve this case?

regards, Sergei