Re: [Win32] Problem with rename()

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [Win32] Problem with rename()
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
I wrote:
> "Peter Brant" <Peter.Brant@wicourts.gov> writes:
>> Does that also explain why an attempt to make a new connection just
>> hangs?

> Actually, I was just wondering about that --- seems like a bare
> connection attempt should not generate any WAL entries.  Do you have any
> nondefault actions in ~/.psqlrc or something like that?

I just repeated the hangup scenario here, and confirmed that I can still
start and stop a plain-vanilla psql session (no ~/.psqlrc, no special
per-user or per-database settings) without it hanging.  I can also do
simple read-only SELECTs.  So I'm thinking your hang must involve some
additional non-read-only actions.

[ thinks for awhile longer ... ]  No, I take that back.  Once you'd
exhausted the current pg_clog page (32K transactions), even read-only
transactions would be blocked by the need to create a new pg_clog page
(which is a WAL-logged action).  A read-only transaction never actually
makes a WAL entry, but it does still consume an XID and hence a slot on
the current pg_clog page.  So I just hadn't tried enough transactions.