Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removes required quotes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removes required quotes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I tested this on libreadline 7.x (where #define
> HAVE_RL_FILENAME_COMPLETION_FUNCTION 1).  I noticed that if I enter a
> filename that doesn't exist and then <tab>, it adds a closing quote.
> Bash manages to do nothing somehow, which is the desired behavior IMO.

Hmm.  I'll take a look, but I'm not terribly hopeful.  I have looked
briefly at what Bash does for filename completion, and as I recall
it was massive, spaghetti-ish, and way too much in bed with various
implementation details of libreadline --- they don't pretend to work
with libedit.  I'm not prepared to go there.  It's reasonable for Bash
to expend huge effort on filename completion, because that's such a core
use-case for them, but I don't think it deserves as much work in psql.

> I don't quite understand why a readline library that doesn't have
> rl_filename_completion_function is known to have a
> filename_completion_function, ie. this bit

> #ifdef HAVE_RL_FILENAME_COMPLETION_FUNCTION
> #define filename_completion_function rl_filename_completion_function
> #else
> /* decl missing in some header files, but function exists anyway */
> extern char *filename_completion_function();
> #endif

I think the point is that before rl_filename_completion_function the
function existed but was just called filename_completion_function.
It's possible that that's obsolete --- I've not really checked.