Re: IS NOT DISTINCT FROM + Indexing

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: IS NOT DISTINCT FROM + Indexing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> writes:
> I'm curious if there is a reason why "IS NOT DISTINCT FROM" is not an
> indexable operation in a B-tree index,

The short reason why not is that it's not an operator (where "operator"
is defined as "something with a pg_operator entry"), and all our indexing
infrastructure is built around the notion that indexable clauses are of
the form "indexed_column indexable_operator comparison_value".

You could certainly imagine ways to fix that, but nobody's put in the
probably-nontrivial effort required to do so.  The btree code itself
would likely be the easiest part to fix, as it sort of thinks nulls
are real values already.