Re: [ADMIN] Encoding problems with migration from 8.0.14 to 8.3.0 on Windows

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Encoding problems with migration from 8.0.14 to 8.3.0 on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Meetesh Karia <meetesh.karia@gmail.com> writes:
> Additionally, here's what I get when I run your test below (my server
> encoding is UTF-8):

> ltefull=# create table x (r varchar(255) unique);
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index "x_r_key" for
> table "x"
> CREATE TABLE
> ltefull=#
> ltefull=# set client_encoding=WIN1250;
> SET
> ltefull=# insert into x (r) values ('Daniel Br�hl');
> INSERT 0 1
> ltefull=#
> ltefull=# insert into x (r) values ('Daniel Bruehl');
> ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "x_r_key"

You said this was on Windows, right?

I was about to say "that should be impossible", until I looked at
varstr_cmp() and realized that whoever put in the WIN32/UTF8
special case omitted this part:

        /*
         * In some locales strcoll() can claim that nonidentical strings are
         * equal.  Believing that would be bad news for a number of reasons,
         * so we follow Perl's lead and sort "equal" strings according to
         * strcmp().
         */
        if (result == 0)
            result = strcmp(a1p, a2p);

So we behave differently on Windows (with UTF8) than anywhere else.
This is pretty nasty, not least because it means that texteq is
inconsistent with other text comparison operators.

I think this is a "must fix" bug for 8.3.1, anyone disagree?