Re: pg_dump dumping data in order? (used to in 7.4 but not now in 8?)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_dump dumping data in order? (used to in 7.4 but not now in 8?)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Miles Keaton <mileskeaton@gmail.com> writes:
> When I do a pg_dump, (--data-only), PG7 used to dump the data out in
> order, so that all foreign-key checks worked correctly when loading
> the data back in.

If it did so, it was by pure luck.

In general it is not possible for pg_dump to guarantee this works;
consider circular FK constraints, or FK constraints added since the
dump occurred.  In view of that, pg_dump has never tried to ensure
that data-only dumps are in a "valid" order at all.  The usual
approach is to use --disable-triggers to short-circuit the FK
constraints during the load.