Re: Idea for improving speed of pg_restore

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Idea for improving speed of pg_restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> writes:
> On 17 Sep 2003 at 0:16, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, yeah, they will.  On a noncritical server, is that a sin?  I mean,
>> if we offer fsync-off, it's not clear to me that offering WAL-off makes
>> the difference between venial and mortal sin.

> If somebopdy wants WAL effectively turned off, then can symlink WAL to
> a ramdisk that has a GB under the carpet. That would offer all the
> "benefits" of WAL being tunred off.

No, because the point of the proposal is to turn off WAL *temporarily*
during initial database load.  Having to move WAL around and then back
again isn't simple, it isn't fool-proof, and it doesn't buy all of the
intended speed savings (the above might save some disk bandwidth but it
avoids none of the CPU expense associated with creating WAL entries).