Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (, )
 Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (Andy Colson, )
  Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (, )
  Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (, )
 Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (, )
   Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (Scott Carey, )
    Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (, )
 Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (Greg Smith, )
 Re: Fun little performance IMPROVEMENT...  (Ivan Voras, )

 writes:
> Here is the fun part.   When running 8 threads spinning calculating square
> roots (using the stress package), the full scan returned consistently 60%
> faster than the machine with no load.

Possibly the synchronized-seqscans logic kicking in, resulting in this
guy not having to do all his own I/Os.  It would be difficult to make
any trustworthy conclusions about performance in such cases from a view
of only one process's results --- you'd need to look at the aggregate
behavior to understand what's happening.