Re: [HACKERS] system catalog relation of a table and a serial sequence

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] system catalog relation of a table and a serial sequence
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] system catalog relation of a table and a  (Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz>)
Список pgsql-patches
> | > You might further check that the
> | > apparent sequence name ends with _seq --- if not, it wasn't
> | > generated by SERIAL.
> |
> | Wouldn't you want to include user sequences that are required for
> | using the table?  If someone has used their own sequence as the
> | default value for a column it would be nice to have it dumped as well.

> This is my thought as well.  Hopefully Tom will concur.

Well, that's why I said "might".  I'm not sure what the correct behavior
is here.  If we had an actual SERIAL datatype --- that is, we could
unambiguously tell that a given column was SERIAL --- then a case could
be made that "pg_dump -t table" should dump only those sequences
associated with table's SERIAL columns.

I think it'd be a bit surprising if "pg_dump -t table" would dump
sequences declared independently of the table.  An example where you'd
likely not be happy with that is if the same sequence is being used to
feed multiple tables.

I agree that dumping all such sequences will often be the desired
behavior, but that doesn't leave me convinced that it's the right
thing to do.

Any comments out there?