BUG #17602: Query backend process killed because it uses up all memory.

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #17602: Query backend process killed because it uses up all memory.
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      17602
Logged by:          alun
Email address:      higherone@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 12.8
Operating system:   centos

Hi,

I'm writing to seek for generic help on trouble shooting bugs related to
query backend process killed because of memory exhaust on this single query
process.

The query is a simple update or insert query like this, and sequence_id has
a btree index. The query process will use up all the memory very quickly
(about 10 minutes) and cause the server to restart.
update folders set sequence_id=40 where id=501;

I suspect the index is corrupt, but after drop the btree index, this issue
still can be reproduced. And when I use pg_amcheck tool to check the btree
index, it's showing no error.
And more strange, if I drop another gist index that's on another field of
the same table, this issue can not be reproduced anymore. But I don't think
the gist index is related to that bad update/insert sql. It's a pity that I
don't have a tool that can detect if gist index is corrupt.

I can not reproduce this issue on a clean db instance. However in my
snapshot db with prod data, I can reproduce this issue stably. It's a pity I
can not share the snapshot db for trouble shooting, so here I'm writing to
the group, hoping to get some suggestions on how to trouble shoot further.

Thanks a lot!