Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2023-08-22 at 22:23 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I notice that this item is still listed:
> >
> >  * Determine the ICU default locale from the environment (Jeff
> > Davis)
> >
> > But that was reverted as part of 2535c74b1a.
>
> The original commit is:
>
>         Author: Jeff Davis <jdavis@postgresql.org>
>         2023-03-10 [c45dc7ffb] initdb: derive encoding from locale
> for ICU; similar to
>
> and I don't see that reverted by 2535c74b1a.  Is that a problem?

c45dc7ffb causes initdb to choose the encoding based on the environment
for ICU just like libc, and that was not reverted, so in v16:

  $ export LANG=en_US
  $ initdb -D data --locale-provider=icu --icu-locale=en
  The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "LATIN1".

Whereas previously in v15 that would cause an error like:

  initdb: error: encoding mismatch
  initdb: detail: The encoding you selected (UTF8) and the encoding
that the selected locale uses (LATIN1) do not match...

"Determine the ICU default locale from the environment" to me refers to
what happened in 27b62377b4, where initdb would select an ICU locale if
one was not provided. 2535c74b1a reverted that, so in v16:

  $ initdb -D data --locale-provider=icu
  initdb: error: ICU locale must be specified

Just like in v15.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis