Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-Mar-27, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> I think the consensus in this thread (and the previous ancient ones) is
>> that it's not worth it. It's one thing to introduce new commands with the
>> pg_ prefix, and it's a completely different thing to rename existing ones.
>> That has inherent costs, and as Tom pointed out the burden would fall on
>> people using PostgreSQL (and that's rather undesirable).

> I thought the consensus was to rename them, and install symlinks to the
> old names.

The question is what's the endgame.  We haven't actually fixed the
complained-of confusion problem unless we eventually remove createuser
and dropuser under those names.  Are we prepared to force script
breakage of that sort, even over a multi-year deprecation cycle?

(As a comparison point, I note that we still haven't removed the
"postmaster" symlink, though it's been deprecated for at least a
dozen years.)