Re: Eh?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Eh?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net> writes:
> This makes me wonder... in the case of a stored complex view, would it be
> helpful to ask PostgreSQL to spend extra time in query optimisation and
> then cache the result?  Or does it do this already?

I don't see any value in caching plans for views as such.  The planner
considers each query as a whole, which it has to do for performance.
Example:create view v as select * from foo;select * from v where bar = 42;
If there's an index on foo.bar, you'd want this query to use it, no?
So the plan has to be formed on the basis of the actual query; there's
no way to pull out the part for a view.
        regards, tom lane