Re: First patch proposal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: First patch proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alastair Turner <bell@ctrlf5.co.za> writes:
> I am proposing altering psql to raise certain errors and exit before
> prompting for a password. These errors would have to be on items which
> didn't leak any information, my current list is:
>  - Does the input file (-f) exist and is it readable
>  - Do paths to the output files ( -o and -l) exist and are they writable
>  - Is the host/socket listening (-h)

You could probably do the first two (not sure how badly you'd have to
contort the logic in psql, but in principle you could do it).  I'm not
sure I like/believe the last one though.  The prompt for password is
already driven by the server demanding one, isn't it?  So you won't get
one if -h is bad.  If you're thinking of altering the behavior when -W
is specified, I'd be agin it, because I think the point of that switch
is to ensure predictable behavior, ie that the program will ask for a
password no matter how the server responds or doesn't.