Re: startup time

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: startup time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> writes:
> The problem we are having is that in a customer installation, the
> startup on the database is taking significantly longer than we have ever
> seen it take before.

Are we talking seconds, minutes, hours, days?

> But what I'm curious about is what set of things have to happen between
> startup and the server being ready to accept requests. This happens on a
> fresh install, so I don't *think* it should be recovery processing.

If it's not doing recovery then the Postgres time proper should be
no more than a second or so, in my experience.  Look for
outside-the-database factors.  One possibility is a broken DNS
configuration leading to long delays in trying to resolve socket
addresses and such.  I've never seen such a problem causing a delay
over a minute though ....