Re: bitmap scan issues 8.1 devel

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: bitmap scan issues 8.1 devel
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> Doing some testing on upcoming 8.1 devel and am having serious issues
> with new bitmap index scan feature.  It is easy to work around (just
> disable it) but IMO the planner is using it when a regular index scan
> should be strongly favored.

I think blaming the bitmap code is the wrong response.  What I see in
your example is that the planner doesn't know what the LIMIT value is,
and accordingly is favoring a plan that isn't going to get blown out of
the water if the LIMIT is large.  I'd suggest not parameterizing the
LIMIT.

(But hmm ... I wonder if we could use estimate_expression_value for
LIMIT items, instead of handling only simple Consts as the code does
now?)