Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?
Дата
Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?  (Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>)
Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> Oracle defines very few named exceptions. Instead, the intention is that
> you define a name for a numeric exception and use it yourself.

Yeah, I noticed that.  It seems a spectacularly bad idea :-(.  What
redeeming social value has it got?  AFAICS there are no upsides, only
downsides: you might get the numeric code wrong, and never know it
until your code fails in the field; and even if you always get it
right, having every bit of code invent its own random name for the
same exception doesn't seem like it does anything for readability or
maintainability.

In any case we use SQLSTATEs not SQLCODEs, so we have no hope of being
compatible with Oracle at that level.