Re: jsonpath versus NaN

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: jsonpath versus NaN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> writes:
> The patchset is attached, sorry for the delay.

> The first patch improves error messages, which appears to be unclear
> for me.  If one applies .double() method to a numeric value, we
> restrict that this numeric value should fit to double precision type.
> If it doesn't fit, the current error message just says the following.

> ERROR: jsonpath item method .double() can only be applied to a numeric value

> But that's confusing, because .double() method is naturally applied to
> a numeric value.  Patch makes this message explicitly report that
> numeric value is out of range for double type.  This patch also adds
> test exercising this error.  When string can't be converted to double
> precision, I think it's better to explicitly say that we expected
> valid string representation of double precision type.

I see your point here, but the English of the replacement error messages
could be improved.  I suggest respectively

numeric argument of jsonpath item method .%s() is out of range for type double precision

string argument of jsonpath item method .%s() is not a valid representation of a double precision number

As for 0002, I'd rather see the convertJsonbScalar() code changed back
to the way it was, ie just

         case jbvNumeric:
             numlen = VARSIZE_ANY(scalarVal->val.numeric);
             padlen = padBufferToInt(buffer);

There is no argument for having an its-not-NaN assertion here when
there aren't similar assertions throughout the jsonb code.

Also, it seems like it'd be smart to reject isinf() and isnan() results
from float8in_internal_opt_error in both executeItemOptUnwrapTarget code
paths, ie numeric source as well as string source.  Yeah, we don't expect
to see those cases in a jbvNumeric (so I wouldn't change the error message
text), but it's cheap insurance.

No other comments.