BUG #17349: Function gen_random_uuid duplicates in pgcrypto and core

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #17349: Function gen_random_uuid duplicates in pgcrypto and core
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      17349
Logged by:          Andreas Dijkman
Email address:      andreas.dijkman@cygnis.nl
PostgreSQL version: 14.1
Operating system:   Oracle Linux 8

As stated in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgcrypto.html#id-1.11.7.35.10, the
function gen_random_uuid is now part of core PostgreSQL. Shouldn't this
function be removed from the pgcrypto-extension as of PostgreSQL 13?
I'm installing this extension in a PostgreSQL 14.1 database on Oracle Linux
8 (I think this is valid for every OS with every version of PostgreSQL 13
and up).

If you install the pgcrypto-extension in the pg_catalog-schema (yes, I'm
aware if installing it in public the error doesn't occur) you get an
error:
postgres=# create database testdb;
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# \c testdb
You are now connected to database "testdb" as user "postgres".
testdb=# create extension pgcrypto schema pg_catalog;
ERROR:  function "gen_random_uuid" already exists with same argument types

If you install the pgcrypto-extension in the public-schema, the function
gen_random_uuid probably never gets used because the same function in
pg_catalog (probably) has precedence by default.