Re: Null value representation in the array data structure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Null value representation in the array data structure
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Paul Laub" <plaub@incyte.com> writes:
> 1. Is there a way of representing NULL numerical data
> in arrays I have overlooked?

Arrays don't cope with NULL elements at all (numerical or otherwise).
Fixing this is on the TODO list.

> 2. If not, are there workarounds more attractive than
> using a numerical flag value (e.g., -9999)? (That
> reminds me of FORTRAN 77 days long ago!)

Consider whether you really need an array at all.  A lot of people
regard arrays as faintly raffish because they don't fit into the
relational worldview very well.  Can you break the data down into
tables instead?