Re: [HACKERS] chomp PQerrorMessage() in backend uses

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] chomp PQerrorMessage() in backend uses
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Here is a patch to systematically trim the trailing newlines off
> PQerrorMessage() results in backend uses (dblink, postgres_fdw,
> libpqwalreceiver).

+1

> I noticed that there are some inconsistent assumptions about whether
> PQerrorMessage() can ever return NULL.  From the code, I think that
> should not be possible, but some code appears to be prepared for it.
> Other code is not.  What is correct?

libpq.sgml doesn't specify, so it's hard to argue that either position
is "correct".  I don't mind resolving the ambiguity via a documentation
change though.  I'd want to see it also cover other corner cases like
what if there hasn't been an error on the connection.