Re: trouble with the automatic indexes on CREATE TABLE

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: trouble with the automatic indexes on CREATE TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bill McGonigle <mcgonigle@medicalmedia.com> writes:
> There is one discussion of NAMEDATALEN in the archives, pertaining to
> version 6.4.2.  That discussion brings up a few questions/assumptions
> related to getting this to work reliably.  I'd love to hear any
> comments/corrections/amplifications:

> 1) It was required that OIDNAMELEN be set to sizeof(Oid) + NAMEDATALEN.

OIDNAMELEN is long gone.  You don't have to change anything except
NAMEDATALEN.

> 3) Will psql from another machine fail to work if that machine's pgsql
> hasn't been compiled with the modified MAXDATALEN?  Is this the same
> question as (2)?

The reason NAMEDATALEN is in postgres_ext.h is that it's visible to (and
used by) clients as well as the backend.  So yes, you'd better recompile
everything.  I am not sure what problems you would have with mismatched
clients.  If you're lucky, they'll merely truncate your longer names,
and not coredump ...