BUG #17246: Feature request for adoptive indexes

От PG Bug reporting form
Тема BUG #17246: Feature request for adoptive indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      17246
Logged by:          Hayk Manukyan
Email address:      manukyantt@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 14.0
Operating system:   Any

Hi everyone. I want to do some feature request regarding indexes, as far as
I know this kind of functionality doesn't exists in Postgres. Here is my
problem :
I need to create following indexes:
     Create index job_nlp_year_scan on ingest_scans_stageing
(`job`,`nlp`,`year`,`scan_id`);
    Create index job_nlp_year_issue_flag on ingest_scans_stageing
(`job`,`nlp`,`year`,`issue_flag`);
    Create index job_nlp_year_sequence on ingest_scans_stageing
(`job`,`nlp`,`year`,`sequence`);
As you can see the first 3 columns are the same (job, nlp, year). so if I
create 3 different indexes db should manage same job_nlp_year structure 3
times.
The Data Structure that I think which can be efficient in this kind of
scenarios is to have 'Adaptive Index'  which will be something like
Create index job_nlp_year on ingest_scans_stageing
(`job`,`nlp`,`year`,(`issue_flag`,`scan_id`, `sequence`));
And depend on query it will use or job_nlp_year_scan  or
job_nlp_year_issue_flag , or job_nlp_year_sequence ( job, nlp, year and one
of ( `issue_flag` , `scan_id` ,  `sequence` )
For more description please feel free to refer me