Re: Inet type how to?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Inet type how to?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> None works. I tried. There is no type that can be cast to inet. And
>> inet_in has a different calling sequence, and you can't really use that.

> Added to TODO.

If we had "C string" (or something like that) as a genuine type in the
type system, then it would be possible/reasonable for the parser to
understandtextvariable::cstring::inet
as a request to invoke text_out followed by inet_in.

I think it'd be a real bad idea to invoke such conversions silently,
since then we'd essentially have no type system at all (you could get
from anything to anything else via cstring, so how can the thing check
for errors?).  But it'd be awful darn handy to be able to invoke the
type i/o routines explicitly...