Re: sequence not restarting in a for loop (actually semi-random numbers)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: sequence not restarting in a for loop (actually semi-random numbers)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
>   insert into mytop (id,n) select id, nextval('tmp_seq')
>     from biglist join mylist on biglist.id=mylist
>     order by biglist.something limit 3;

I suspect you are expecting the nextval()s to be done after the LIMIT,
but actually they'll most likely be done before it, ie you're getting
a lot of unintended nextvals happening.  Try doing the ORDER BY/LIMIT
in a sub-select.