Re: Append with naive multiplexing of FDWs

От Movead Li
Тема Re: Append with naive multiplexing of FDWs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Kyotaro,

>"Parallel scan" at the moment means multiple workers fetch unique
>blocks from *one* table in an arbitrated manner. In this sense
>"parallel FDW scan" means multiple local workers fetch unique bundles
>of tuples from *one* foreign table, which means it is running on a
>single session. That doesn't offer an advantage.

It maybe not "parallel FDW scan", it can be "parallel shards scan"
the local workers will pick every foreign partition to scan. I have ever
draw a picture about that you can see it in the link below.
I think the "parallel shards scan" make sence in this way.

>If parallel query processing worked in worker-per-table mode,
>especially on partitioned tables, maybe the current FDW would work
>without much of modification. But I believe asynchronous append on
>foreign tables on a single process is far resource-effective and
>moderately faster than parallel append.

As the test result, current patch can not gain more performance when
it returns a huge number of tuples. By "parallel shards scan" method,
it can work well, because the 'parallel' can take full use of CPUs while
'asynchronous' can't.

Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)
EMAIL: mailto:movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca