range_agg

От Paul Jungwirth
Тема range_agg
Дата
Re: range_agg  (Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com>)
Re: range_agg  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Re: range_agg  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I wrote an extension to add a range_agg function with similar behavior
to existing *_agg functions, and I'm wondering if folks would like to
have it in core? Here is the repo: https://github.com/pjungwir/range_agg

I'm also working on a patch for temporal foreign keys, and having
range_agg would make the FK check easier and faster, which is why I'd
like to get it added. But also it just seems useful, like array_agg,
json_agg, etc.

One question is how to aggregate ranges that would leave gaps and/or
overlaps. So in my extension there is a one-param version that forbids
gaps & overlaps, but I let you permit them by passing extra parameters,
so the signature is:

     range_agg(r anyrange, permit_gaps boolean, permit_overlaps boolean)

Perhaps another useful choice would be to return NULL if a gap/overlap
is found, so that each param would have three choices instead of just
two: accept the inputs, raise an error, return a NULL.

What do people think? I plan to work on a patch regardless, so that I
can use it for temporal FKs, but I'd appreciate some feedback on the
"user interface".

Thanks,

--
Paul              ~{:-)