Re: psql \d option list overloaded

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql \d option list overloaded
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> 2. Some people aren't using psql.

> I don't see why this is an issue.  People not using psql are either
> using a GUI, which presumably supports plenty of "show" and "describe"
> functionality, or they're writing their own program, in which case it
> doesn't really matter how short or easy to remember the commands are.

But this interacts with point 3 (psql breaks on every new backend
version).  It's not desirable to have every GUI and large custom program
implementing its own set of metadata inquiry commands: they all have
to go through the same update pain as psql.  Perhaps if people start to
rely on information_schema for those things, life will get better,
but I'm unconvinced that will happen.  psql itself certainly hasn't
moved in that direction.