Re: Different length lines in COPY CSV

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Different length lines in COPY CSV
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
> The COPY code is probably on the edge of maintainability now.
> Our CSV routines accept a wide variety of imports formats, but a fixed
> number of columns is required. Maybe we need a pgfoundry project with some
> general perl CSV munging utilities - this issue comes up often enough.

What's been suggested in the past is some sort of standalone
file-format-conversion utility, which could deal with this sort of stuff
without having to also deal with all the backend-internal considerations
that COPY must handle.  So (at least in theory) it'd be simpler and more
maintainable.  That still seems like a good idea to me --- in fact,
given my druthers I would rather have seen CSV support done in such an
external program.