Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables
Дата
Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> That's not what I'm saying.  If we don't have the FSM, we have to
> check every page of the table.  If there's a workload where that
> happens a lot on a table that is just under the size threshold for
> creating the FSM, then it's likely to be a worst case for this patch.

Hmm, you're assuming something not in evidence: why would that be the
algorithm?  On a FSM-less table, I'd be inclined to just check the
last page and then grow the table if the tuple doesn't fit there.
This would, in many cases, soon result in a FSM being created, but
I think that's just fine.  The point of the change is to optimize
for cases where a table *never* gets more than a few inserts.  Not, IMO,
for cases where a table gets a lot of churn but never has a whole lot of
live tuples.  In the latter scenario we are far better off having a FSM.