Re: Data transfer format between UNIX server and Windows client?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Data transfer format between UNIX server and Windows client?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Paul A. Lender" <lender@tc.umn.edu> writes:
> MY QUESTION -- When query results are sent to the client, where does the
> conversion of stored binary data to easily readable text take
> place:  on the server before it leaves for the clients, or at libpq.dll ON
> the clients?

At the server.

> If the transfer between boxes is text, does anyone have experience using an
> encrypted connection between a Unix box and a Windows client (without using
> a web server, that is)?

PG can be compiled to allow SSL encryption of connections.  If you're
worried about packet-sniffing then that is the way to proceed.

The 7.0.* SSL support was new and a tad flaky IIRC.  You might want to
work with 7.1 instead to avoid rough edges in SSL configuration.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get OpenSSL compiled on Windoze, though;
has anyone tried?